"Two by Two" seating facilitates large group instruction, but also permits quick brainstorming in pairs, or grouping in fours.
- Orients the class toward the front of the classroom, where instruction occurs.
- Creates aisles for the teacher to reach every student in the classroom.
- Creates pairs for brainstorming, small group presentations, which can easily be added to another 2 to make groups of 4.
- Limits disruptive or off task conversations.
- Geared toward a preference to whole group instruction rather than collaborative learning.
- Puts some students at some distance from instruction.