1. Education

Teaching With Picture Books

By December 3, 2008

Finding the right hook to motivate struggling learners is often a challenge. However, a tried and true method is to incorporate the use of picture books to stimulate writing, thinking, oral communication, and art just to name a few. One of my favorite authors is Judith Viorst who is well known for writing Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. I haven't met a child yet who hasn't absolutely loved this book! (A great Christmas gift.)

Follow up activities after reading this book include: creative writing, drama, vocabulary development, brainstorming and much, much more. Have a look at the Web English Teacher's Site for endless lessons and follow up activities to this delightful children's book.

Comments

December 3, 2008 at 5:07 pm
(1) Jamie says:

Hi! I think the teaching with picture books is a great idea. Have you really seen it work well with students teaching valuable lessons?

December 3, 2008 at 8:23 pm
(2) anne newman says:

I am a special education teacher and some of my students have limited language I have seen their speaking skills really improve using picture books at first I started out with just pictures I took out of magazines and put them in plastic sleeves in a binder and then had them look at them with me and started saying what they were and now most of them are talking very well

December 3, 2008 at 9:27 pm
(3) Jamie says:

Wow that’s encouraging. What are the types of disabilities do the students have that this seems to work best with?

December 3, 2008 at 11:37 pm
(4) Angie says:

I love incorporating picture books into my teaching. A few I use are “The Greedy Triangle” for a geometry unit and “The Diary of a Worm” for an earthworm unit. My 6th graders still enjoy picture books.

December 4, 2008 at 5:09 pm
(5) Jamie says:

Great, thanks so much I will definitely check those books out. I am looking forward to beginning my teaching and hope to have a very student oriented classroom.

December 26, 2008 at 5:22 pm
(6) FutAttenty says:

zfkvjdouzphbdmcxwell, hi admin adn people nice forum indeed. how’s life? hope it’s introduce branch ;)