1. Education
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

The Special Education Resource Room

By April 13, 2008

Follow me on:

Delivery of special education will take place in a variety of ways. Sometimes it's as simple as making modifications or accommodations to the existing curriculum, other times it will mean a self contained classroom. Sometimes, it will be a combination of sing the uresource and withdrawal method. In this case the special education resource room is used. This article explains how program delivery works in the resource room.

See also: More On Special Education 101


April 15, 2008 at 2:56 pm
(1) Diana Williams says:

Hello. I am the mother of a exceptional, gifted and brilliant 6 year old boy. He is although somewhere on the spectrum (or so I’ve been told. Anyway, He is advanced in all areas his reading fluency is that of at least a fourth grade level and his Math is at least fourth grade. He has a photographic memory and is basically doing all this learning on his own. He is enrolled in a SDC for Kindergarden(PUBLIC) and I sometimes wonder why. My son is delayed socially and a bit speech delayed. However he is verbal. The problem is noone knows where to place my son. He doesn’t do well in a reg ed class and he is bored to tears in his SDC class I have an IEP coming up and I have no idea what to do or say. They say putting him in a regular class won’t work because he is way beyond his peers. HELP!! Any ideas please email me let me know. Thanks,

September 28, 2008 at 12:41 am
(2) Ann says:

I am a special ed teacher who was surprised by your posting. You as your child’s representative have the right to approve his placement. It’s simple. You can say I do not approve my child being placed in an SDC class and do not sign the IEP until they give you another choice. Furthermore, I would suggest you find an advocate ( type special ed advocate in….) to go to the IEP meeting with you. You just have to add his/her name when signing the meeting notice. Trust me, the school district will then be very careful on suggesting SDC as a placement.
His placement could be part of the day in the regular classroom and the rest in a resource room. Unless your child is emotionally disturbed and many years behind grade level, your child should have a different placement. Good luck and hope this helps!

October 1, 2008 at 9:58 am
(3) kcspecialed says:

Since he has an “IEP”, they should individualize his schooling based on his needs. If he needs social skills training, this should be provided. If he reads at a fouth-grade level, then that’s where they should start working with him. This guy should excel! What you have written would be a good “Parent contribution” to the “Present Level Performance” section of the IEP.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.